Thursday, June 18, 2009

Let's Read

*I am aware that books are underlined but I don't know how to properly use html so books will be in quotes until I properly update this post.

I’m an odd fellow. I read all sorts of stuff. Only two genres will always remain out of my stash forever: romance and urban “gutter” fiction (books like “Where My Baby Daddy” , “I Wish A Motherfucker Would” , “ The Motherfucker That Could” … you get what I mean). So far I’ve just been rereading books but have not immersed in anything unfamiliar, partially because I’m uncertain of where to even begin.

Honestly, I kept saying I would begin reading since I got out of school in May and have successfully stalled each time I would nestle a book between my hands, but then the power for my house went out for five days which in turn erased my hesitant phase. Here’s what I read during that time:

Sun Tzu’s "Art of War"



Barry Eisler’s “The Last Assassin” and “Rain Fall”



Art of War is a book that discusses how one should lead a group to victory and the intractires of understanding your opponent. The Barry Eisler books are a series about a half Japanese, half American male assassin known as John Rain. Rain is charismatic and calculating but also contemplative and loyal which makes for a very interesting mix of situations. I’m putting both descriptions pretty cut and dry but I certainly would recommend reading any of the John rain series in conjunction with “Art of War” - makes for a new understanding of the self and the vulnerabilities we all have.

Also skimmed through Chancellor Williams’ “The Destruction of Black Civilization - Great Issues of a race from 4500 BC to 2000 AD”



and Terry McMillan’s “Waiting To Exhale” (not a bad book at all, I just don’t get much from the overall story).




I read both of these a while back but didn’t really want to finish both a second time.

My big read this summer is Fyodor Dostoevsky’s “The Idiot” which is a humbling 564 pages in what seems to be size six print.



The story is based on a 19th century prince who is completely sheltered from society. The larger themes involve what this sort of ignorance would mean for an individual and those surrounding him or her. The prince is forgiving to a fault and tends not to understand when others mean to deceive him (like that guy who doesn’t get that bitches are bitches so treat them as such instead of getting hurt over and over; come on, you know someone like that, HAHA). According to the introduction, Dostoevsky’s intention was to write the story of “a truly beautiful soul” and it is said many times that his actions are supposed to mimic those of Jesus in some way. Intrigued? So was I. Hope the read is worth it.

I thought about reading some more Herman Melville… maybe later…much later. I think I'll have enough brain farts trying to figure out an idiot.



It won't be this bad, but ya'll know what I mean

No comments: