Friday, July 25, 2008

The older I get, the less I care

Let me clarify: I can only control me. I can’t stress over every ill of this world.



For example: I can’t begin to understand why a preacher would talk about how lost black folks are and how they don’t know their history, etc. and then proceed to put up a picture of a white Jesus. I know that the new covenant changed the laws of the converted Christian so the Old Testament does not apply; however, there is no a description of Jesus describes anything other than a man of darker tones.



Some say it don’t matter and it is ok to have white Jesus up because it does not diminish what Jesus did. Well it does not diminish what Jesus did, but it does matter. If it didn’t matter, why would anyone bother to put a white Jesus up in the first place?


"I'm really a black man but I don't want to disappoint everyone! What? I didn't know who else to tell..."



People always spread themselves out across a plot graph when we are all just regular people. Having money, a talent, or (insert whatever you like here) does not make a person a higher being or more worthy of praise. Everyone is flawed. We have been taught to accept social/gender/racial/political/religious stratifications as just things that happen and then plot accordingly. Even the educated black person often makes the distinction between themselves and the ignorant “nigga” while constantly going on about how hard being black in the U.S. … Paradoxical truly.



I don’t care to constantly make these issues a topic of discussion everyday of my life. I’m looking forward to becoming an English teacher and coming home to my wife and kids. I’m going to help my family and those within my reach. No one person should attempt to carry the burden of a particular cause on their own. Real talk, my friends, I got ya’ll and you all know I got mad love for each of you. When the shit hits the fan, I’ll give a wall to get behind. We take care of each other.



Do what you can where you can, but life is too long to stress over every little thing. Be confident and believe in yourself and who you are, hence we end with the words from our future president:



Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. ~ Barack Obama

* Portrait painted by Carl F. Hess II and signed by Senator Obama. Check out more of his artwork @ http://www.chessartworld.com/

No comments: